They say surrounding yourself with great people is a key element of success. I agree. As such, I do not hesitate to research, use, and source great recipes for this blog. This particular recipe comes from Prinicpalchef.com. The writer of Principalchef.com, a friend, superintendent and food aficionado, brings his family and friends together through easy, party-friendly recipes. I think you and your family will enjoy this meal – and the blog!
Pre-prep is key to this meal. It’s not that it takes a long time, but the rub needs time to absorb into the chicken and the potatoes need an hour to cook – all work that can be done before dinner time meal prep.
Yesterday I readied the chicken and baked the potatoes.
Tonight I prepared the potato skins and baked the chicken. I also baked a little extra “unrubbed” chicken for lunches this week.
9.5’s and 10’s! Everyone loved the flavor, even my discerning daughter. The chicken was moist and flavorful. The potato skins were also flavorful and went well with the chicken. Get the pre-prep done and dinner is a cinch!
BBQ Chicken Rub, Potato Skins, and Green Beans
Serves 2 Adults and 2 Kids + 2-3 lunches
3 Idaho russet potatoes
canola oil spray
For the rub:
. 2 T Paprika (I used Penzey’s Smoked Paprika)
· 1/4 t Ground Black Pepper
· 1 1/2 t Kosher Salt
· 1 1/2 t Sugar
· 1 1/2 t Chili Powder (Ancho Chili Powder is Very Nice)
· 3/4 t Garlic Powder
· 3/4 t Cup Onion Powder
· pinch Cayenne Pepper (This is low heat – add more if you want it!)
For the Rest of the Meal:
1.75 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
olive oil spray
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
salt, pepper, paprika
2 T grated parmesan (cow’s milk) or manchenga (sheep’s milk) cheese
1 T minced parsley
1 t chili powder
3 C fresh or frozen green beans
4 C salad greens
handful of sunflower seeds
1 carrot cut into disks
Potatoes – Make 1-2 days ahead of time.
Spray potatoes with canola oil spray.
Bake at 425 for 1 hour or until done – when a fork pierces potato easily
Rub – Make up to 3 weeks ahead of time.
Mix all rub ingredients together.
Make Chicken – Make up to 1 day ahead of time.
Wash and dry chicken. Cut into 3” pieces. Make 3.5 lbs of chicken and you will have your chicken done for later in the week!
Massage rub into chicken. Wrap in plastic and store in refrigerator so chicken absorbs flavors of rub.
Pre heat oven to 425
- Take chicken and leftover red sauce (salsa) out of refrigerator.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out centers leaving ¼ – ½ “ layer of potato.
- Cut each ½ into 3 lengthwise strips.
- Place on baking sheet and spray insides of potato with olive oil spray.
- Top with garlic, paprika, parmesan or manchenga, parsley, and chili powder.
- Place chicken in lightly sprayed baking pan.
- Bake chicken for 20 -25 minutes.
- Add potato skins to oven for 10 minutes to heat through.
- Add 2 T lime juice, ½ t kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to blend.
- Place green beans in microwave safe container and microwave for 3 minutes or until done.
- Portion greens and salad topping for side salads. Top with no oil or low fat dressing.
- Plate chicken, green beans, and potatoes topped with salsa.
- Serve! Cowboy hats optional…
2. Combine spices and store in a dry place until ready to use.
3. Make the spice rub for tomorrow.
4. Wash and dry chicken for the week. Rub in spices, wrap in wax paper, and store in refrigerator until tomorrow so chicken can absorb the flavor.