Besides it’s delicious, light, mild flavor and flaky texture there are more reasons to cook tilapia today with a knowing smile on your face. 1. 30-minutes or less: tilapia is fast and easy to prepare; 2. Tilapia is good for you! A high protein fish that is low in carbohydrates, it is low in sodium and is also low in mercury, due to it’s short life span and vegetarian diet. Tilapia is also low in fat with the USDA reporting 2 g of fat per 3.5 oz! Bring on dinner tonight!
Pre-heat oven to 350 or turn grill to high
I began meal preparation at 6:45, and while many times my late meal preparations are due to a frantic schedule, today I was timing my preparation to sync when my kids would arrive home from their activities, which was about 7:15.
First I cut the onions and red bell peppers. You can use any color bell pepper, but I use red bell peppers when I can as red vegetables are “heart healthy” vegetables. If you can find pre-sliced / diced veggies, always feel free to buy and use them. I sliced them myself and cut them into thin strips.
Next I rinsed the tilapia and placed it on foil on a baking sheet. Lightly spraying the tilapia with canola oil spray, sprinkling 2 t of the Magic Seafood seasoning, and topping with the onion and bell pepper strips, the tilapia was ready for the grill or the oven. If you are putting the fish on the grill, be sure to turn the heat down to medium low. Fish will cook for about 7-9 minutes.
If you are putting the fish in the oven, you may want to cover with foil to keep the fish moist. Fish will cook for about 15 minutes.
While the tilapia is cooking, portion enough green beans for the family into a microwave safe bowl. Consider ½ cup for each child and ¾ -1 cup for each adult. Cook beans in microwave for 2 ½ minutes.
While they are cooking, check the tilapia. The tilapia will begin to crack and will spring back to the touch when cooked through.
Continue cooking beans in microwave for short time periods (actual time will vary depending on your microwave) and portion salad, tomato and avocado on each plate. I make a traditional looking salad for my husband and I and separate the salad ingredients for my kids.
Once the fish was cooked, I portioned the fish and green beans on each plate and served.
A 10 rating from everyone! My family loves the flavors and green bean is a vegetable that everyone will eat. I love the taste as well but as a mom, I really love the fact that this delicious meal is also very nutritious. It’s a tried and true recipe that I can count on and a dinner to add to your rotation!
Ingredients 1 Large Onion
2 Red Bell Peppers
1.5 lbs. Tilapia
2 t Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends Seafood Magic
Green Beans, Fresh or Frozen
Greens for Salad
Low Fat Dressing – I use no oil balsamic or a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette
Pre-heat Grill to high or oven to 350
- Cut onion and bell pepper into strips. (If you can buy pre-chopped, go for it.)
- Rinse tilapia and place on foil on top of a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle Seafood Magic seasoning on tilapia and top with onions and red bell pepper.
- Place on grill and turn heat down to low, or place in oven.
- Place enough green beans for your family in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 ½ minutes. Check and heat for another 2 ½ minutes. Repeat until beans are done. (Based on how quickly your microwave cooks, adjust the time intervals as necessary.)
- In the meantime check tilapia after 4-5 minutes.
- Portion greens on plates and top with tomato and avocado and a light sprinkling of dressing. For my kids, I put a few leaves of lettuce, and separate the tomato and avocado on the plate. I also sprinkle a bit of salt on the avocado.
- Pull tilapia when the top of the fish begins to crack and the fish springs back to the touch (like in baking).
- Serve and see if this isn’t one of the easiest dinner recipes out there!
1. Cut onions and bell pepper up to a day ahead of time. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.