For 2 Adults and 2 Kids (For 2 Meals)
¼ C Olive oil
4 Garlic cloves, minced – include skin
2 Large onions, diced
1 1/2 t Ground cumin
1 28 oz. Can of tomatoes, chopped with their juice (You can also use a 28 oz. container of POM tomatoes in a shelf-stable, non-can package)
8 C Vegetable stock, ½ regular, ½ low sodium
2 t Salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 Carrots, thinly sliced
10 oz. Frozen corn
The rest of the frozen okra leftover from the Chicken Gumbo recipe
3 Medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into sixths, then into 1-inch chunks
1 15 oz. Can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Grated cheese (optional)
Corn chips (optional)
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Saute garlic, onions, and cumin for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, vegetable stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots and cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Add corn and okra and cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Add zucchini and kidney beans and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Using a hand blender, puree about half of the soup, be sure to leave chunks of vegetables!
- Serve with grated cheese, broken corn chips, a dollop of plain yogurt, or just eat it straight out of the soup pot!